Monday 5 November 2012

Knitted fish!

When the Staffordshire Artists Co-operative set up Gallery at 12 some of my fellow member artists encouraged me to expand my knitted jewellery repertoire and may be knit some other items as well as jewellery. At that time I had some knitted crowns, tiaras, chokers and bracelets and one masque. Since then I have increased my range, knitting flowers for bouquets and brooches and adding to my masque collection too, but it wasn't until this summer that I started to play around with some other ideas I have been developing in my mind since may 2009 . These fish are some of the items I came up with.
Four wire hand knitted fish

two hand knitted fish with silver coloured wire

hand knitted wire and bead fish

hand knitted wire and bead fish

Why have I waited until now to show these? Well in truth I hadn't decided what to do with them, they have been lying in a dish in my work room for a good four months - then, last night on twitter I gained a new follower John Binet Fauvel. when I read on his bio that he knits wire sculptures on knitting frames I had to take a look. Some absolutely amazing and inspiring work met my eyes, and it reminded me of my fish. I still have to work out what to do with them i.e. how to display them , but I thought I would share them on here as a start and may be they will be on display elsewhere soon along with a few other items I have as unfinished pieces at the moment.

handmade knitted fish by Angela Smith

2 comments:

  1. Lovely fish. They would look good suspended in a window where they would catch the light - a bit like shimmering in the sea or river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow well done very interesting, they are very effective!

    ReplyDelete